Message sent from:
In year admission

In-Year Admissions - Please click on each question

Questions and answers

  • What is an in-year admission?

    An in-year admission is when a child already attends a school but wants to transfer to another school outside the usual transfer time, for example, because the child is moving to a new address.  These transfers take place during the school year, which is why they are called in-year admissions.  There are two types of in-year admissions:

    • Parents or carers who are moving/have moved house and wish to move to a school closer to their new home.
    • Parents or carers who are not moving house, or whose change of address is not a significant one (a significant house move is defined as over 2 miles for a Key Stage 1 or 3 miles for a Key Stage 2 and above), but would like their child to change school.
  • Making an application if you have moved

    If you have moved house and do not have a school place for your child, or if your child cannot continue to attend their current school because it is too far from your new home, you will need to complete the In-Year Common Application Form (ICAF).

  • Making an application if you have not moved

    If you are not moving house, or you have not moved very far but want to change your child's school for personal reasons, you should discuss this in the first instance with the Headteacher of your child's current school.  This may resolve any issues that may have made you think about changing your child's school.  A list of things you should consider can be found on the Kirklees Council website at www.kirklees.gov.uk/admissions under 'changing school during the school year'.  If after speaking to your child's Headteacher and you still want to transfer your child to another school, you should complete the In-Year Common Application Form (ICAF).

  • The ICAF

    • The ICAF (In-Year Common Application Form) is used by parents/carers to apply for their child to change school during the school year.
    • You may apply at any time during the school year, but no earlier than one school term in advance of when the school place is required.  A child starts a new school at the beginning of a term unless their home address has changed signficantly or they are new to Kirklees.  You can apply for any school(s) in Kirklees on the Kirklees ICAF but not private fee paying schools.
    • If you want to make an application to more than one school, you will need to complet a separate ICAF for each application.
    • If you want to apply for a school/academy in another local authority, you will need to fill in that authority's ICAF.
    • If your child has a statement of special educational needs, please do not complete the ICAF.  Please contact your child's SEN caseworker to discuss a change of school.
    • You should return the completed ICAF to the school/academy that you name in section 7 of that application form.  If the school is a Kirklees community or voluntary controlled school, the school will forward details of your request to Kirklees School Admissions to process.
  • What happens after you have submitted the ICAF?

    The admissions authority for the school/academy will send you, within 20 school days of the application being received, a decision letter to offer or refuse a place at the school.

  • Question placeholder text

    Answer placeholder text